Tuesday 10 August 2010

A very thorny month

July is like a blackberry bush. Or, maybe this july was a blackberry bush.

The theme for July was making space. Coming out of June which focused on energy consolidation for power, the opening to length and grace, within the body and within the practice was the energy I began cultivating. There were many great lessons that happened this month, in those two threads, on and off the mat. There were more emotions and depths of emotions that I have never felt before. There were also more stars than I have seen in a long while.

Early in the month, I went to a class in which the teacher suggested (during warrior two) that the body should be hard on the outside and soft on the inside. I found this image very difficult to relate to, besides that I was not sure how to achieve it, and decided I had to disagree with that image and think through the strength aspect of the postures in a different way. I notice in my students that if they think 'hard' the body stiffens. When I look at the hands or arms, in say warrior 2, the energy blocks in the extremities. The muscles over grip and bind the energy inward. Besides being inefficient energetically, this pattern reinforces the stress patterns in the life. As the muscles harden around the bones, the arms become heavy, so the muscles work harder, so everything descends into struggle and strain.

There is another way possible. I have been working more with lunges these last weeks than warrior two, so the arms extend straight up from the shoulders. Instead of holding the arms, what if they are tossed up towards the sun? Not pulled (which tends to draw the shoulders up), not reaching (which encourages a sort of exteriority which I am not opposed to but just not exactly working with at the moment), and certainly not held. As the arms toss up into the space, it is like the energy from within can fountain up. But it also makes incredible space for the great energetic boomerang to allow energy to flow back in. If I release what my arms hold in them, then they become like antennae to heaven drawing energy back in. Arm bone floats in shoulder joint and holding the arms for longer becomes more ease-y.

Of course these images work for 5 breath, 8 breath, 10 breath postures in a vinyasa practice. But the end of the month saw the Kundalini festival with meditations for 11, 22, 31 or 62 minutes often with the arms involved. The question is, do the same principles apply?

One of my recent practices has been the Reverse Adi Shakti Kriya or the Kriya for Self Love.

http://www.pinklotus.org/KY%20KRI/KRI%20KY%20kriya/Reverse%20Adi%20Shakti%20Kriya.pdf

I will spare re-articulating the entire kriya. In the Kriya the right arm is held above the head for 11 minutes. The breath pattern is slow deep breath building up to a one minute breath: 20 second inhale, 20 second hold, 20 second exhale. I practiced the kriya a number of times, and the image that helped me stabilize the arm above the head is that the hand is resting on the auric field. It is not held up in space, but resting on the energy. The slow deep breathing creates the sense that the body and the auric field are expanding and thus the hand rests easily. Then one time I forgot to consciously practice the breathing pattern. The arm felt like lead after a few short minutes. What it showed me was that the image of making space within allows the body to find the energy to support itself (or be supported) without holding. The musculature of the body becomes like sails in the wind. The amount of tension, as determined by the body positioning or energetic investment in the pose can effect how much energy the body can catch and then carry itself with.

There came another great lesson however this month from the 3 day White Tantra practice. The meditations were all either 31 or 62 minutes, with a partner, either looking into the eyes or eyes closed but holding the space between. For one, the ordinary Anjali Mudra (prayer pose) was joined together: so my hand, his hand, my hand, his hand. Anjali Mudra is fairly effortless as a pose individually. As we put our hands together, I could feel the work and effort of trying and holding the hands up coming in. As we held the position 62 minutes, this became quite tiring. It was my practice to keep making space within myself, to make my hands as light as possible, to let them float so there would be no need to hold and bind the hands in the air. What flooded into me was the sense of love. That loving is not holding onto, or holding up, but making space for. That love is feeling the struggle and channeling it through, not taking it on. That love is bearing witness to all that comes, from the resistances and griping, to the fear and shutting down, to the release and all its bliss. And the love is trusting being held, trusting the energy to be there so that you don't need to make it and force it, knowing it is within you at all times if you can let go enough to let it move itself.

July was a very thorny month. In my own process of making space, I uncovered deep rage, resistances to people, blockages in my heart, throat, intuition. Hatred for my own body and resistance to movement at all. And yet the movement came in. And the deep breath started to ache to expand more. And the love of the dear soul family tapped gently at the hearts walls. And it all started to move. I think I have understood for myself why the Reverse Adi shakti is for self love, because as we make space within ourselves for all that is when we become loving. That love need not be fixed to anyone or anything. It is suspending judgment and giving permission. Making space within is the act for me of self love. So July was a blackberry bush, with thorns and pains, but as the wind blew in, and I reached down, I ended up with the sweetness of the berries in the summer sun.

Hari Om, Tat Sat.
I am grateful for all the lessons this life and love in my life.
Peace to all, Light to all, Love to all.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mollie
    This is a beautifully written and honest rendition of a warrior in action pursuing life with courage and grace.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Hari Om
    Sat Nam
    You are a beautiful woman.
    Siri Arti x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mollie,
    Second try. I failed to upload my last comment appropriately. I guess all I really wanted to say that as a mother love for me has been more fixed and tangible, more holding and protecting, more commitment and obligation that what you have written. At this point, I see it as leaving space. But if you needed me, I suspect that the old ways would return in a flash. I think you are on to something, something large and universal. And a mother's love is often small and intensely personal. xxx

    ReplyDelete